Revised Syllabus for the Color Society’s Diploma in Paint Technology.
Academic Year - 2021-2022
(Revision -01, Date - 09-05-2020)
PAPER I Marks 100
INTRODUCTION TO SURFACE COATING AND INK TECHNOLOGY.
- General Introduction and historical background of Paints and Coatings.
- Definition of Paints, Coatings, Varnishes, Lacquers.
- Why paints or coatings? – Importance of coating.
- Essential and specific functions of coatings.
- Main constituents and Ingredients of paints
- Function and role of each ingredients.
- Classification/Types of paints.
- Basic of polymer chemistry.
- Methods of polymersation.
- Polymer characterization- Molecular weight distribution, Rheology of polymeric systems etc.
- Film formation mechanism/ drying of paints
PAPER II Marks 100
BASIC RAW MATERIALS FOR PAINTS, COATINGS AND INK.
PAPER III Marks 100
TECHNOLOGY OF PAINTS
- Types of paints and coatings as per substrates and Area of application. (Solvent & Water Base)
1) Architectural coatings 2) Auto and Auto refinishing Coating,3) Industrial Coatings,
4) OEM Coating 5) Wood Coating, 6) Marine Coating 7) Floor Coatings 8) Coating for
Ceramic, Glass, Plastic, Aluminum, Galvanized, Paper, Leather and Other Substrates.
- Coating as per Service environments (Mild, Moderate and Severe condition)
- Coating for Construction and Building materials (solvent and water base)
- Principles of Paint formulation.
- Mathematics and steps involved in paint formulation.
- Typical formulation of primers, under coats, base coats and finish coats.
- Steps in paint manufacturing.
- Machinery used in paint manufacturing
- Testing of paints.(wet paint and dry film)
- Purpose of Testing and preparation of TC, TDS and MSDS.
- General hazards in coating Industries.
- Safety measure and protection at paint factory.
PAPER IV Marks 100
SURFACE PREPARATION AND PAINT APPLICATION.
- Corrosion theory.
- Types of corrosion.
- Surface preparation – Various methods of surface preparations.
- Types of surface preparations,
- Standards of surface preparations.
- Surface preparations methods, for various substrates.
- Corrosion control Techniques.-Cathodic protection via- ICCP, Sacrificial anodes, Galvanizes, Anodizes, Metalizing etc.
- Paint applications techniques & various paint application methods like-Powder coating, Electrodeposition, Coil coating EB, UV curing, Auto coating application
- Application problems, trouble shooting.
- Defects- causes and remedies
- Painting specification and inspection.
- Testing and calculation while painting- viscosity, sp.gr, covering etc.
- Application safety. – Safety at height, safety in confined place etc.
- DFT measurements and area measurements
- Pollution control, PPE and First Add at application site.